Thesilkmaid.com

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Strand Arcade




Each season if I happen to get to 'The Harbour City' I always head into The Strand Arcade in the middle of the city. I love this place. It is like going back in time to a bygone era..... I was first photographed here with my mother as a tiny baby. Since then I have taken photographs of my own family surrounded by its splendour. The Nut Shop is still there dispensing its own brand of chocolate and nutty heaven with the third generation now in at the helm. All hail the newcomers too such as Haighs. Though not as large and intriguing as their Melbourne store in the beautiful Block Arcade the treats are just as sweet. Upstairs were two favourites of mine Martinvales for all things kitsch and the fabulous Flamingo Park home to the creative duo of Jenny Kee and Linda Jackson. Jenny's lovely Mum would often 'man the fort' while the girls were off unleashing their creative genius. I have found a new favourite to gaze upon in wonder Anaessia. If the cold wind is blowing around your feet and you are walking through city streets awash in business suits and a sea of grey and black coats (as I was in June) step into the warm glow of this timeless elegant Arcade for a little while. Here she is dressed for winter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment